Things that are lame:
1. Ryan Kesler and Zach Parise are no longer on our team.
2. Olympic hockey is gone for four years.
3. My ankle is sprained.
4. I wrote an entire huge long post about how the Sabres need a backup goalie (complete with STATS! I looked up NUMBERS, you guys) only to scrap the whole thing because I realized that I wasn’t even buying my argument. (Statbits are inherently fishy if you ask me.) I still think that Crunchy needs some good rest before the playoffs, but I couldn’t prove it with numbers, so now I’m just all lost and confused about the whole thing.
5. DARN! I forgot to put the chili in the crockpot! I KNEW there was something I was supposed to be doing this morning.
Things that are awesome:
1. The S-A-B-R-E-S are back!
2. Paul Gaustad and Thomas Vanek are on our team. (I know! I’m just as surprised to see Vanek on the “awesome” list as you are!)
3. Lindy Ruff is on our team again. Sometimes in Buffalo it feels like you have to choose to be a “Lindy Ruff never deserves criticism EVER” person or a swirly-eyed, frothing at the mouth “LINDYRUFFSHOULDBEFIRED” person, but I reject this notion. I love Lindy AND I criticism him. It’s called “middle ground”, and it’s awesome.
My main point about Lindy today is that it didn’t feel particularly good to see him on the other side of the ice. I’m looking forward to getting him back. Ryan Miller and Lindy Ruff belong together, not apart.
4. I’m really really looking forward to Lindy’s comments about the Olympics, and Miller’s play in particular. I’m sure he’ll have some good stuff.
5. Lindy claimed that he came away from the Olympic camps this summer all calm and reinvigorated, with a new, fresh approach to coaching. If the camps made him feel all inspired, imagine what winning a gold medal did for him. Not to steal Darcy’s trademark line, but getting an invigorated and refreshed Lindy Ruff back in the locker room might be the same as making a big trade. (Heh.)
6. TRADE DEADLINE DAY IS TOMORROW! There are those who take a “This is how it is, this is how it’s always been, this is how it always will be” approach to the trade deadline, and I certainly can’t argue with that logic. But, if you can’t daydream about trading Clarke MacArthur for Rick Nash in the 24 hours before the trade deadline, when CAN you dream about such things? The trade deadline is fun, I say! (That said, this IS how it is, this IS how it’s always been, and this IS how it will always be. Darcy’s got his method and there’s not a damn thing anyone can do about it. I just try not to get too cranky when the thing I knew was going to happen, happens.)
7. The fellas over at The Goose’s Roost have organized a gigantic Sabres blogger Cover-It-Live-athon, and we here at TWC will be participating. I’m lifting the Willful Caboose ban on that big old clicking, scrolling chatty-box thing, and we’re going to talk Rick Nash for Clarke MacArthur ALL DAY LONG. So, tune in here (or to any other Sabres blog) to get in on the chatter.
8. The Olympics really left me feeling like the Sabres should go for it this season. Is Ryan Miller having the season of a lifetime? If he did that for Team USA, can he do it for the Sabres?
9. Seriously though. How awesome is it that Ryan Miller is a Buffalo Sabre?
10. The chili probably doesn’t need the entire day to cook.