2. That overtime was RIDICULOUSLY fun. That game was ridiculously fun. I haven’t been that bonkers during a regular season game, well, possibly ever. The arena had a GREAT buzz tonight, and the overtime period was incredible. Great, great entertainment. That was my first win in the arena this year, and IT FELT GOOD. More please. I’m home now, and I’m bouncing off the walls, filled with big beers and warm fuzzies.
3. At some point during the Rangers game last week, I got so frustrated with Thomas Vanek that I got a little temper tantrum-y. If I weren’t such a lazy blogger I would’ve written a post in which I declared that Darcy should have taken the draft picks from Edmonton. This was a new low in my relationship with Thomas Vanek. As much as I’ve bitched about him in the past, I’d never actually given up on him before. But I gave up on him last week. I really did.
Thomas Vanek is never going to be the guy we thought he would be when the Sabres signed him to the seven year contract, but, he’s never going to let us give up on him either. He’s got “it”. He may not have access to it all the time, but when he’s got it, he’s got it.
I’ve said this before, but to me, the game looks different, and it really feels like anything is possible when Thomas Vanek is hot. There are no other Sabres that make me feel this way, including Ryan Miller. (Maybe I just take Crunchy for granted.) Somehow Thomas Vanek alone perfectly represents my vast array of feelings about this team. As low as I was about him last week, that’s how high watching him made me feel tonight.
Thomas mother effing Vanek. I want him to be awesome. I love it when he’s awesome.
4. Tyler Myers had the overtime game winning goal, which makes him a hot, hot bitch. Sekera (a guy who Lindy has always been more than happy to bench) hit the jackpot by being the guy playing with Myers when he started to take baby steps out of his slump. If Sekera and Myers develop any type of lasting chemistry, Darcy better roll out the lifetime contract for Sekera, because I don’t want to see, “My Name Is Tyler Myers And I Miss My Defensive Partner, Part II”. I’m glad Myers is starting to look like himself again, and if Sekera can help Myers forget about Hank, all the power to him.
5. At the start of OT, when the Sabres had about 30 seconds left to kill on the PK, Lindy sent out Myers, Connolly, and Morrisonn. I thought it was pretty interesting (and more than a little bonkers) that those were the three guys Lindy trusted most in that situation. Lindy was right. It was an admirable PK, start to finish.
6. Damn it’s good to have Ryan Miller back.
7. I sat up in the 300s tonight with my buddies from work (I was playing the role of “one of the guys” this evening), and I’ve got to say, the 300s are VERY fun. Granted, this was a particularly exciting game, so maybe my regular seats would’ve been just as boisterous….but I kind of doubt it. I really have to hand it to the 300s, it’s a hoot up there, and the view is great.
8. The Sabres have done something INCREDIBLY clever. (I know what you’re thinking. You’re thinking, “‘Clever’ and ‘Sabres’? Those words do not belong together,” but bear with me here.) By sucking beyond our scariest nightmares in October, they absolutely convinced us that they were a terrible team. They were so bad, that we had no choice but to believe in their shittiness. And now? When they don’t suck? We all think, “EEEEEEEEEEEE! The Sabres are so scrappy and over-achieving and wonderful! I want to marry them all!” This is an astonishing feat. I think I might love the Sabres more because they don’t suck than I would have had they never sucked in the first place. Well played, Sabres. Well. Played.
9. I like it when guys wear jerseys that fit with their body-type. Like, if you’re tall and skinny, I think you should wear a Myers or a Miller. If you’re mega cute and cuddly, you should wear a Pominville. If you’re just basically dude-shaped, not too tall and not too short, you should wear a Vanek or a Connolly. If you’re short and kind of a punk, I think you should wear a Roy. I thought of this tonight because I saw a tall skinny guy in a Myers jersey standing next to a short guy in a Roy jersey and I thought, “Well, that just looks right.“
10.I really, really loved that game. Sometimes you just have to go ahead and blow the 3rd period lead in order to set up the best OT ever. Hockey is great.