I can’t TELL you what a shift in perception I’ve gone through with the Sabres in the last two weeks. It’s amazing! Basically, I suddenly have this long term view that I really didn’t have before. Last week, if the Sabres lost, everything was terrible. That was the beginning and the end of the story.
But now….it’s different. It’s partly different because I don’t see any easy way out of the current sucky situation (besides firing Lindy, but I seriously doubt that’s going to actually happen). I think the best we can hope for is that Darcy gets fired, which I just don’t see translating to much change on the ice, at least not for awhile. No matter what, this team needs big time change. I’d LOVE to be wrong about this, but unless something pretty drastic happens in the coaching/management arena, we might be looking at a few years of mediocrity.
Oddly, I’m not that freaked out.
1. It’s kind of a relief to stop worrying about the dumb old Sabres all the time. For two years we’ve all been pulling our hair out trying to understand this team. Why aren’t they winning? WHAT’S wrong with them? Blah blah blah blah blahblahblah.
They suck! That’s what’s wrong with them! The management is kind of sucky, the coaching is kind of sucky, and the players are kind of sucky. It’s just suckage, all around.
Am I the only one who feels liberated by this?
Remember back before it became a book and a movie, that episode of Sex in the City when Miranda first learned the concept of “He’s just not that into you” and it really DID make sense? That’s how this feels. Like, OOOOOOOh, they’re just sucky. So, I should stop analyzing every single thing they do, because none of it really matters? They’re just SUCKY. Huh. Well, okay then.
2. At the game on Friday, I started thinking about how it would feel to go to games that weren’t sold out. What if there was lots of room to spread out, and you could sneak into much better seats than you had paid for? That….might be TOTALLY AWESOME. I mean, even if the Sabres really suck, they’re still playing hockey, and there will still be big beers at the game. I really wouldn’t mind being able to put my jacket on the seat next to me and my feet on the chair in front of me.
3. I might actually be able to get season tickets.
4. The playoffs are just so stressful. It’s kind of nice to have a whole little second hockey season without the Sabres.
5. Okay, I know that last one was a bit of a cop out. I DO want the Sabres in the playoffs again. I do. Which leads me to my next point, which is that the Sabre WON’T suck forever. They just won’t. Maybe this group will find a way to pull it together, or maybe it will be the next generation of Sabres who will stop the suckage, but sooner or later, we’re going to get some relief from this mediocrity. I promise. There might not be dozens of Cups in the history of the Sabres, but it’s not wall-to-wall suckage, either. The day will come when the Sabres don’t suck.
6. And when that day comes, and the Sabres stop sucking, it will be sweeter because of this time we are in right now. I am a new fan, but I am not a bandwagon fan. I am earning my stripes right now, and so are you. Someday, when the Sabres are good again, we can pat ourselves on the backs for being badasses who loved the team even when loving them was difficult. We are hardcore, and we are awesome.