1. Like almost everyone I know in town, I’ve been recently struck down with the cold/flu from hell. I’m mostly feeling fine now, but I still have a (really attractive) barking cough, so I’ve been taking a cough suppressant at night. When I first got sick I accidentally threw out the little plastic cup that came with the cough syrup so I’ve been using an actual tablespoon to administer my nightly dosage. Yesterday, when I opened a new bottle (yes, this is a two bottle level illness…sad times), I had a NEW cup, but I had gotten so used to giving myself two tablespoons of medicine each night that without thinking, I slurped down TWO generously poured little plastic cups of cough syrup. It wasn’t until about an hour later when I was literally stumbling around my apartment and mentally writing letters to the FDA asking HOW they could make such a ridiculously potent drug available for over the counter usage, that I realized I had taken at least TWICE the recommended dosage. Oopsies. I’m lucky to be alive, people. That was a wild ride. (Actually, I just went to sleep.)
2. I think it’s interesting that the Sabres have spent the last two days defending Lindy Ruff to reporters. I’m glad that they realize their suckiness is putting Lindy’s job on the line (at least in the eyes of the press). Maybe the threat of Lindy getting fired will put a little urgency into their game. I’m not at all surprised to hear they love and respect him.
3. Lindy himself has been asked to comment on the team and the job he’s been doing, which has caused him to say, “I get pissed when my passion is called into question.” I think a reporter asked him specifically about his passion, so I’m not judging Lindy for defending it, but…..it’s not Lindy’s passion I question. His TEAM’S passion is certainly questionable, and that’s why I question Lindy’s effectiveness.
4. I wish that Spacek had another year on his contract. I think Darcy is going to be under a lot of pressure to make changes this offseason, and so it might be difficult to justify re-signing Spacek, but of all the older defensemen he might be the one I’m most interested in keeping. I keep hearing Paul Hamilton on the radio all non-chalantly saying things like, “Well, Spacek is most likely gone next year.” Really? I mean, I know he’s not perfect, but that, um, sounds a little scary to me. We kind of need Spacek, don’t we? Why couldn’t Lydman or Tallinder be free agents this summer? Why does it have to be Spacek?! WHY? *shaking fist at sky*
5. I’m going to the game tomorrow. It’s the last game of the season for me. Even though I’ve been complaining mightily about the Sabres recently, I’m sorry to see another season go. I love going to the arena, and it’s sad to realize I’m most likely done for awhile.