1. I can’t believe that just yesterday I was all, “Oh, we should just enjoy hockey at face value. Everything is wonderful. Tra la la. Totally calm about losing. Peace be with you blah blah.”
I think what I actually meant to say is that the Sabres are TERRIBLE at hockey and that WE SHOULD DEFINITELY BE FREAKING OUT ABOUT IT.
When the highlight of the game is an EXTREMELY ill-advised, come-way-WAY-out-of-the-net-in-a-race-to-the-puck, move by your star goaltender, you know you just saw a game with a massive bullhonky factor. (But that play was pretty fun. I got the feeling that Crunchy was sort of like, “Oh, fuck this,” right before he decided to go for it. He was also VERY amusing at the end of the game in his desire to vacate the net for an extra attacker. He did a lot of exasperated arm waving trying to get Lindy to give him the okay to skate to the bench. His desperation to get off the ice was comical, because there were still two and a half minutes left in the game at the time. I suspect he just wanted to get off the ice because he was massively annoyed. Can’t say I blame him.)
2. Tyler Myers. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THAT GUY? There was one shift tonight where he somehow managed to turn the puck over, like, a hundred times in a row. He’d get the puck, turn it immediately over, get the puck back, pass it directly to a Blue, get the puck back, trip over nothing, get the puck back… on and on …FOR, LIKE, HALF AN HOUR.
Look, I know he’s young, and young defensemen are supposed to be all erratic and nerve-racking, but honestly, he scared the ever-loving crap out of me tonight.
Someone needs to help him. I’m not sure who that someone is. Maybe a priest or a shaman.
3. Vanek and Staffy were poopy tonight, and they were poopy in the Leafs game. They’re both fired.
4. The water in the women’s bathroom near my section (120) must be flown in from some sort of arctic spring, because it is the COLDEST WATER IN THE EFFING WORLD.
Please, Mr. Pegula. Can we PLEASE have some non-allllmost freezing water? I’m not asking for much here. Tepid will do.
5. I have no idea why I’ve never thought to do this before, but tonight I snuck some chocolate-chip cookies from the Co-op into the arena in my purse. It was an EXTREMELY good idea. I can’t tell you how much a delicious cookie hits the spot during a game like that. I don’t like most of the arena food, and I intend to sneak delicious snacks into the arena for the rest of my life.
Next Wednesday the snack will be Salt and Pepper Pistachios. If the game is terrible again, instead of sitting in your seat, stewing about how hard the Sabres blow, you should come by my section and enjoy some delicious nuts.
6. Before the game got all massively lame (i.e.- before it started) I had a very vivid moment when I imagined what it might be like to sit in the owner’s box on the day I bought the Sabres. I imagined looking down at the sold out arena, and the team I love standing at attention for the national anthems, and thinking, “This is all mine.” I really can’t imagine how fun that must be.
I also can’t imagine what it would feel like to watch that game thinking, “This….this…is all mine.”
Heh. Welcome to Buffalo, Terry Pegula!