(ed. note- About halfway through writing this Game Diary I realize that a lot of the stuff I wrote at the beginning of the diary was all wrong-headed. So, I went back and made some notes.)
-Holy crap do I wish Vincent Lecavalier was a Sabre.
-Holy crap do I wish Jochen Hecht was not a Sabre.
-Remember that time Lecavalier and Hecht fought? That was awesome. If they fought again right now I might be rooting for Vinny.
– I love it when a guy scores a goal and then immediately points to the guy who gave him the pass. Vanek does that all the time. Because he’s awesome. Vanek has good manners, even in the heat of the moment.
(ed. note- At some point in here the score got to be 3-1, Lightning. I really wasn’t paying super close attention to be honest.)
– The Lightning are an incredibly exciting and awesome team. They’re just plan better than the Sabres. (ed. note- *cue hilarious foreshadowing music*) The Lightning are a good example of how quickly things can change when the right man takes over a franchise. Have hope, Sabres fans! Things can change. Two years ago the Barry Melrose was coaching the Lightning and Stamkos was a bust, and now look at them! They rock. (ed. note- They do not rock.)
– You know, even though the Sabres are currently losing 3-1, I still like this game. Is anyone else just totally calm about the Sabres? It’s Pegula. I believe again, because now I’ve got some patience. (ed. note- I REALLY BELIEVE AGAIN! THANK YOU HOCKEY GODS!)
-Is there a guy in a Sabres Steve Bernier jersey sitting right behind Brian Engblom? That is WEIRD. If you’re the guy who ran out and bought that jersey the day after Bernier’s impressive debut against Nashville two years ago, aren’t you also the guy who has a closet full of jerseys? And if you own other, non-Bernier jerseys, shouldn’t you be wearing one of those to the game? Is it possible that this guy only owns one Sabres jersey, and that jersey is a…Bernier? (ed. note- The guy in the Bernier jersey is OBVIOUSLY LUCKY, and if Pegula is smart he’ll pay the Bernier-guy to travel around with the team, and wear his Bernier jersey in the first row behind the benches at every game. MAKE IT HAPPEN, PEGASAURUS!)
-Jason Pominville needs to score some goals. Or at least be remotely visible on the ice. (ed. note- This actually still stands.)
– Huh. The Sabres just tied it! I did not see that coming. It’s definitely easier to score when the opposing goalie is flat on his back. The Sabres should send old Staffy out to trip up the goalie more often. This game is now hilarious because the home fans are MEGA cranky and booing all over the place. Can’t say I exactly blame them, although Staffy was just falling. He didn’t mean nothin’ by it. (ed. note- The crowd should’ve saved their booing and just stood up and gone home. The ax…it was hovering. To say the least. WOO!)
– WHY did Lindy put Niedermayer out on the 3-on-3? WHAT POSSIBLE JUSTIFICATION COULD THERE POSSIBLY BE FOR NIEDERMAYER ON A 3-ON-3?! WHY LINDY, WHY? (ed. note- WHY?!)
– Wow! Tim Connolly just scored. I repeat. Tim Connolly just score the go ahead goal. That goal was nice work by Stafford, Ennis and Connolly. 4-3, Sabres.
– I am definitely losing my, “TRADE STAFFY NOW!” resolve. Now I’m kind of like, “WE’RE WINNING THE CUP, AND STAFFY IS GOING TO BE THE MVP!”
– Okay, the Sabres just scored AGAIN. This is the best game EVER! (Except for possibly this game, which was also against the Lightning.) 5-3, Sabres.
– Why haven’t they pulled Roloson? (ed. note- I should be the coach of the Lightning.)
– HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Tampa Bay Lightning, WHY did you leave Vanek all alone right in front of the net? Are you guys retarded? (ed. note- Yes! THEY ARE!) 6-3, Sabres.
– Okay, Staffy. You can stay. It’s decided. Tell us how much money you want, and we’ll have Pegula’s lawyers write up the contract. IT’S A “MOOOORE BRAAAAAAINS” HAT TRICK! 7-3, Sabres.
– Aw, Vinny scored. I love that guy. I wish he was a Sabre. Have I mentioned that recently? 7-4, Sabres.
- Well. I think I speak for all Sabres fans when I say, “EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!” (ed. note- EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!)
-If you’re not jazzed after that one, we can’t be friends.
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! THE SABRES ARE NEVER LOSING AGAIN! (ed. note- It’s been far, far too long since I’ve said, “The Sabres are never losing again.” Welcome back, Sabres.)