1. Hockey, as in REAL HOCKEY, played for points, is about to return, you guys. Towards the end of the preseason, I found myself losing interest. I can’t bear this fake hockey anymore. I want to be able to throw myself with abandon at the new season. I’m totally sick of the whole, “Well, they’re not really playing an NHL roster,” preseason conversation. I’m sick of other team’s minor leaguers, and I’m sick of talking about our minor leaguers. If Tyler Myers, and Nathan Gerbe, and Tim Kennedy really want me to care about them, well, it’s time for them to make the team and become honest-to-Lindy-Ruff, big boy Sabres. I’m in the mood to freak out (both good and bad) about REAL, grown-up hockey! WOOOOOOO!
2. I don’t even know how to begin dealing with the name of Patrick Kaleta’s charity foundation. “Helping Individuals To Smile,” has totally beaten me. He’s a good kid, that one.
3. You know who I’m a little worried about? Steve Montador. I thought he looked like a big pile of poo in the game against Toronto at HSBC. Everyone is all “Fire Hank Tallinder!” (fine by me), and “Fire Toni Lydman!” (not-so fine by me), but what about Steve Montador? Why does he get a free pass to constantly fail to keep the puck in the zone?
4. I will be very disappointed if Lindy and the Gang don’t keep Tyler Myers up for his nine NHL games. I don’t care if it is Weber’s turn. Hell, even if they think Weber is the better option right now, I still say let Myers play out the nine games. Remember how Chris Butler kind of snuck into the line-up and then stole our hearts? Even if they’re pretty sure Myers isn’t NHL ready right now, it will be good for him to get a real taste, and I think it’s worth it to see what he’d do. By my calculations, the Sabres don’t have to make the final decision about him until October 29th, and I hope they use every minute of that time to size him up. I’m totally rooting for him. Until October 29th, I’ll be marching around my living room, holding a picket sign and chanting, “MYERS! MYERS! MYERS!” (Unless he starts to consistently suck and then I’ll change my chant to “MYERS! MYERS! MYERS!….should go back to juniors for another year…”)
5. They said it couldn’t be done, BUT THEY WERE WRONG!
THIS IS NOT A DRILL. THIS IS A PEAR SHAPED LIKE A BABY.
I want a baby-shaped pear so badly.