1. I picked a REALLY good time to randomly fixate on a particular tennis player. No sooner had I locked eyes on Novak Djokovic than he started beating Roger Federer right and left at the U.S. Open. (Okay, he didn’t quite beat Roger “right and left”. He pretty much just, “did exactly what it takes to beat Roger Federer and not one bit more”. But still. Yay, Novak!)
The Finals were supposed to be yesterday (Sunday), which kind of bummed me out because I was scheduled to be at a picnic exactly when the match was set to begin, BUT, the Tennis Gods must love me, because the match was RAINED OUT. I got home from my picnic just in time to see Novak brightly informing his interviewer that he was grateful for the extra day to recover from his Federer match before facing Nadal. So, the match is rescheduled for today, which is awesome because I don’t have anything better to do today other than care passionately about athlete I didn’t care about at all two weeks ago.
I guess what I’m trying to say is, if you want me between 4-7pm today, I’ll be watching tennis.
Here’s a video of Novak being mega cute with a pink umbrella.
2. Rookie camp started today at HSBC which I suppose is pretty exciting for the rookies, but honestly doesn’t do much for me even in spite of my extreme case of hockey withdrawal. I’m happy the rookies are on the ice, and I look forward to loving/hating them if and when they become Sabres.
There was one bit of fun non-rookie news out of HSBC this morning though:
Exciting! (Also, that’s good reporting, Mike Harrington!)
3. I haven’t watched Project Runway in a few seasons (Kenley really took a lot out of me and I needed a break), but I am LOVING it again. I watched the most recent episode last night, and the editing that Gretchen has received (first she’s tolerable, then she’s a bitchy shrew, then she’s a MEGA BITCHY SHREW, then she’s repentant, and now she’s basically tolerable again) got me thinking. Wouldn’t it be fun to edit a show like Project Runway? I think it would be very interesting to pick out a storyline and then support it by editing the hours and hours of footage they film during the challenge.
I was recently poking around and reading the blogs on the Project Runway site, and in one of them, Laura Bennett let’s it slip that the runway and judging takes EIGHT HOURS to film. Obviously with all of that footage being edited down to ten minutes, the editing makes a HUGE difference in how we perceive the contestants. I think I would like that job. If editing Project Runway were my job I would make Mondo the star of the show and I’d play the “Psycho” music every time Ivy appeared on screen.
And just as an aside: in my opinion “throwing someone under the bus” means to blame them for something that is not actually their fault. On Project Runway everyone who says anything bad about anyone else gets accused of “throwing him under the bus”. It’s dumb.
4. The Bills are terrible at football. We knew this already, but it was still gross to see.
I tweeted this last night, but in my opinion the biggest problem with football is that when the teams are bad football is the MOST BORING SPORT EVER. That game yesterday was brutal. Just completely uninteresting in every way. Hockey, on the other hand, is often more fun when you’re watching bad teams. A few yeas ago I was quite taken with the Tampa Bay Lightning because their games felt so delightfully out of control. They were undeniably bad, but their games were fun to watch because more often than not, they lost 6-5. Bad football teams are no fun at ALL.
5. I don’t love Mad Men the way most people do. I’ve seen all of seasons 1 and 2, and then I kind of lost interest during Season 3. (I feel like I’m watching Season 4 because of twitter.) Mad Men is beautifully executed, but to me it’s very depressing. I always felt kind of sad and unsettled after watching Mad Men, so I quit.